Indian Journal of Otology

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2012  |  Volume : 18  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 140--142

Bell俟Q製 palsy in early childhood: A series of six cases


Sunil Kumar, Sunil Garg, Aayush Mittal, Jatinder Kumar Sahni 
 Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Sunil Garg
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
India

Background and Objective: Bell俟Q製 palsy is more uncommon in children than in adults and the diagnosis is always made by exclusion. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective study of 5 years, we diagnosed six children of Bell俟Q製 palsy in age group between 4 months and 48 months. The parents were reassured and prognosis was explained in detail to them, and physiotherapy along with multivitamins as placebo was prescribed on outdoor basis. None of the children was prescribed with oral steroid. Results: All patients showed improvement with complete recovery in 67% cases over mean duration of 6.5 weeks, while partial recovery was noticed in the remaining 33% cases. Conclusion: In this retrospective study, we find that physiotherapy along with multivitamins as placebo without steroids is an effective alternative treatment for childhood Bell俟Q製 palsy.


How to cite this article:
Kumar S, Garg S, Mittal A, Sahni JK. Bell's palsy in early childhood: A series of six cases.Indian J Otol 2012;18:140-142


How to cite this URL:
Kumar S, Garg S, Mittal A, Sahni JK. Bell's palsy in early childhood: A series of six cases. Indian J Otol [serial online] 2012 [cited 2022 Aug 8 ];18:140-142
Available from: https://www.indianjotol.org/article.asp?issn=0971-7749;year=2012;volume=18;issue=3;spage=140;epage=142;aulast=Kumar;type=0